Monday, June 27, 2011

family

Sorry for the brief hiatus...I was in Oroville, CA for a little family time from Thursday until late last night. 

So, being with my moms family definitely made me think about family in general.  We were in Oroville for my grandma's memorial service.  My sister and I called her "Plain Grandma" because we only had a grandma on my moms side (plain) and a grandma and grandpa on my dads side.  It made perfect sense to us to call her "Plain Grandma"...not sure if we called her that to her face, but there is a good possibility we did.  Her memorial was short and sweet, but left me feeling a little sad.  Of course memorials should make you feel a little sad, but this was different.  There were a lot of people there, but when it came time for people to share stories or memories...only two people shared.  I think more people should have had something to say...she did have four kids and only one of them spoke.  I know, I know...I could've stood up and said something, but I read a poem as part of the service and felt I had talked enough. 

Sometimes its fun to compare families.  My moms family couldn't be more different than my dads family.  The one thing both families have in common is they both like to drink.  One family drinks a lot of wine and the other drinks Budweiser out of cans, but drinking is the common theme.  If you really want to add in some spice, you can throw in The Husband's family for a third comparison.  I think it's strange how my parents ended up together being raised in such different families, but The Husband and I ended up together and our families are pretty different, too.  It makes me wonder what our kids (yes we're planning on having more than one) will say about our families. 

I think both of my families...moms side and dads side...are a lot of fun.  My dad has three sisters and I have three girl cousins and we're all close in age...between me, my sister and our cousins our ages are 30, 31, 32, 33 and 34.  When you throw in The Husband and two other husbands...it's a pretty fun, young group.  My mom has two brothers and a sister and there are a lot of cousins in the mix of all ages, but it's the adults in this family that make it fun.  My uncles are total cowboys and love the hell out of me and my sister.  We shoot guns, ride ATVs, drink cheap beer and laugh a lot with them. 

I honestly love both families equally...can everyone say that?  I wonder if our son will say that about his extended families? 

If you know me at all...you're giggling a little right now. 

Look ma...no swear words in this one!!

1 comment:

  1. Your post made me think about the time your uncle came to Seattle and we had Manhattans with your grandparents and parents at that really cool bar. I'm vaguely recalling maybe going out to a few bars with your uncle?? I love your family, they're great, at least the ones I've met have been!

    ReplyDelete