Sunday, February 19, 2012

getting my craft on

I bought myself a sewing machine because I wanted to learn and I knew if I didn't literally jump right in...I would never learn.

I bought a brother and so far it has been great. A lot of trial and error, but great overall.

My first project: a size 3 dress - and here is my first attempt.




It is clearly not finished as I have yet to teach myself how to sew the zipper on, but overall I think my first ever project isn't half bad! Those armholes were a BITCH!! Now all I need is a little girl who wears a size 3 to model my dress. Any takers?

My other project (patent pending) are these baby cuffs made from terry cloth! The first one is enormous and totally silly, but if it were smaller it would be fantastic for my drooly baby who wants to chew on his hand all the time! My second attempt was the smaller one and felt flimsy and less than cute. I made an ADORABLE third one for a girl that had a slight glitch with the snaps, so it is currently in the ICU getting fixed, but will soon be done and also given to a friend with a girl. Any more takers? I swear it's cute!



You can see how badly I fucked up the snap on the giant cuff...I was using the wrong side of the snap tool and cursing it because it wasn't working. Once I realized my error, I apologized and attached it properly. Tonight, as I was making the cute girl cuff, I went back to cursing that stupid snap tool. I think I'm moving on to Velcro (thanks Katie).

I love feeling crafty! Now...give me your constructive feedback so I can adjust and make millions. PATENT PENDING people! : )

1 comment:

  1. You're just so damn awesome, Brooke!! (watch the quirky girl snl clip from when Zooey deschanel was on: she plays Mary Kate Olson and Kristen wiig plays bjork. Also damn awesome.)
    I LOVE that you bought yourself a sewing machine and then taught yoursel to sew. Who does that? Oh yeah - Brooke!

    ReplyDelete