Sunday, November 21, 2010

DIY holiday

It's snowing as I type...so fitting!!

So, yesterday The Husband and I were out and about doing a little Christmas shopping and I couldn't resist running into Michael's to see if there was anything that inspired my crafty self.  I thought of the black, glittery skull that we bought for like $8 a couple years ago for Halloween...I could do that.  And so it began...here is what I bought:


I know what you're thinking...a "B"...really?  Yes, really...it's my mantel damnit, don't judge me.

So, I took over The Husband's workshop in the garage and made it a glittery wonderland.  I'm sure he'll love that later!  Well after about 2 minutes I realized that I needed that really fine glitter, not the kindergarten friendly giant glitter that I bought, but Michael's is too far away to go back, so the giant glitter would have to do.  Styrofoam (again, don't judge me) + spray adhesive = sticky, but not sticky enough for giant glitter, mess.  My fingers still have spray adhesive on them 3 hours later and it has now turned brownish-black...awesome.

Here is what the mantel looked like while the Michael's contraband was still sitting on the table:
 
(The Husband's grandpa built the mantel...cool, right?)
So, I did my little, crafty project and felt pretty good about myself!  The Husband brought me the small box of decorations we have (it's so sad how few decorations we actually have...maybe that is what inspired this project?) so I could decorate the mantel completely.  Here is the final result:
The wide shot
Glittery Styrofoam


Glittery "B" and pretty ornaments
So, this is our Christmas mantel!!  Once our Christmas stockings are hung it will be 100% complete and Santa can squeeze down our tiny chimney.  I think the entire project only cost like $25, which is pretty good considering spray adhesive is pricey.

Happy decorating!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment